Biography / Wiki
A Mexican multitalented artist Guillermo del Toro is a filmmaker, screenwriter, producer, and author. He is well-known for his versatility and perfection in his filmmaking skills. He was born on October 9, 1964, and was named Guillermo del Toro Gomez.
He is famous for giving special effects and artistic views to his work and his notable movies include ‘Cronos’, ‘The Devil’s Backbone’, ‘Hellboy’, and many more. He has been appreciated for co-writing ‘The Hobbit’ trilogy. Before becoming a filmmaker, he worked as a special-effects make-up designer to enhance his skills.
Height / Weight / Age
Guillermo Del Toro weighs 95 kg or 209 lbs in pounds. He has a height of 168 cm and in feet inches, his height is 5’6”. He will turn 58 years old. His eye color is blue whereas his hair color is salt and pepper. His trademark is using archangels, symbols, and religious items in filmmaking. He is popular for using gothic architecture in his production designs.
Guillermo Del Toro’s net worth is estimated to be $20 million approximately. He has a Cadillac car that is being customized.
Education / Family
Guillermo was born to Federico del Toro who was an automotive entrepreneur and Guadalupe Gomez. He was raised as a single child in a Catholic household. Since childhood, he developed his interest in filmmaking by using his father’s Super 8 camera.
In high school, he created 10 short films. He was enrolled in Centro de Investigacion Estudios Cinematograficos, Guadalajara for studying cinematography.
Guillermo del Tero
|Real Name||Guillermo del Tero Gomez|
|Birth Place||Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico|
|Date Of Birth||October 9, 1964|
|Height||In centimeters – 168 cm
In feet inches – 5’6”
|Weight||In kilograms – 95 kg
In pounds – 209 lbs
|Hair Color||Salt & pepper|
|Profession||Director, songwriter, producer, novelist|
|College||Centro de Investigacion Estudios Cinematograficos, University of Guadalajara, Guadalajara|
|Home Town||Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico|
|Debut||Directional & writing – Cronos (1993, English-Spanish)
Production – Un Embrujo (1998)
Novel – The Strain (2000)
|Fathers Name||Federico del Toro (entrepreneur)|
|Mothers Name||Guadalupe del Toro|
Career / Fashion And Style
In 1993, Guillermo commenced his filmmaking career with the horror drama film ‘Cronos’ which was in Spanish. At the 66th Academy Awards, it was selected as the Mexican entry for ‘Best Foreign Language Film’. In 2002, he worked on the sequel of ‘Blade’ and kept the horror and supernatural themes for it.
As an author, he released his vampire horror novel ‘The Strain’, which spawned two sequels, ‘The Fall’ and ‘The Night Eternal’. The sci-fi action film ‘Pacific Rim’ was directed by Gullimero which is about giant monsters and gigantic mecha suits called ‘Jaegers’.
‘The Shape of Waters’ is considered to be his remarkable work as it earned $195 million. The movie was nominated for 13 Oscar categories and won four of them. It has also won two Golden Globe awards and three BAFTA awards.
Girlfriends, Affairs, Wife and More
He married Mexican singer Lorenza Newton and has two daughters named Mariana Del Toro and Marisa Del Toro. In 2017, the couple filed a divorce.
|Children||Daughters – Mariana Del Toro, Marisa Del Toro|
Here is the list of Guillermo favourite things.
|Favourite Actors||Doug Jones|
|Favourite Musician||Hans Zimmer|
|Favourite Film||La Chienne|
|Favorite Painter||Arnold Bocklin|
|Favourite Books||Pet Sematary by Stephen King
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley and Michael Burgan
Some Interesting Facts About Guillermo del Toro
- Guillermo belonged to an upper-class family who had a strong Catholic belief.
- When he was 8 years old, he started experimenting with his father’s motion picture camera.
- In high school, he developed his interest in filmmaking and started making short films.
- In 1974, he became a vegetarian after watching the horror film ‘The Texas Chain Saw Massacre’. Later after 4 years, he started eating non-vegetarian.
- He established his own effects company called ‘Necropia’ in 1980.
- From his birthplace, ‘Patron’ a brand of tequila products started and hence he collaborated with Patron Tequila once.
- He is a gothic art lover and a bookworm. To showcase his collection of 600 pieces of art and 9,000 books he bought an extra-house called ‘Bleak House’.
- He considers Dick Smith as his mentor because he taught him the art of special effects make-up.
- Guadalajara International Film Festival is co-founded by Guillermo. It is a week-long festival which takes place in the month of March in Guadalajara.
- Entertainment’s Weekly ranked him 37 on the list of ‘The 50 Smartest People in Hollywood’.
- His hobbies are reading and writing.
- If his name is translated into English, it will become ‘William of the Bull’.
- He has a political inclination towards the democratic party. Once he became a part of controversy for criticizing Donald Trump‘s government.
- In 2015, he became a member of the ‘Official Competition’ jury at the 68th Cannes International Film Festival.