Biography / Wiki
A well-known actor, producer, and director Denzel Washington are famous for his roles in Glory, Malcolm X, and The Hurricane. He is the second African who is an Academy Award-winning actor, after Sidney Poitier. He was born as Denzel Hayes Washington Jr on December 28, 1954.
He has always appeared in challenging roles and has portrayed them perfectly. He received his major breakthrough from his role as Dr. Philip Chandler in the medical drama series ‘St Elsewhere’. His outstanding performance on the silver screen has earned him numerous awards and nominations including Academy Awards.
Height / Weight / Age
Denzel Washington has a towering height of 185 cm and in feet inches, his height is 6’1. His weight is also quite huge 90 kg in Kilograms or 198 lbs in Pounds. In December 2019, he turned 65 years old. Dark brown is the color of his hair and eye. It is observed that he frequently plays the role of military commanders and law enforcement officers.
Denzel’s net worth is estimated to be $140 million approximately. He owns a house at Beverly Hills, California worth $4.5 million. His car collection includes Chrysler 330, Bentley Continental, Lamborghini, and Range Rover.
Education / Family
He was born in Mount Vernon to Denzel Hayes Washington Sr who was a Pentecostal minister and S. Klein who was a beautician. Till 1968, he attended Pennington-Grimes Elementary School but after his parents’ divorce, he moved to New Windsor with his mother. His mother enrolled him in Oakland Military Academy to instill some discipline in him. He earned a B.A degree in drama and journalism from Fordham University. He discovered his passion for acting at a summer camp.
|Real Name||Denzel Hayes Washington Jr.|
|Birth Place||Mount Vernon, New York|
|Date Of Birth||December 28, 1954|
|Age||65 years (as in 2019)|
|Height||In centimeters – 185 cm|
In feet inches – 6’1”
|Weight||In kilograms – 90 kg|
In pounds – 198 lbs
|Eye Color||Dark brown|
|Hair Color||Dark brown|
|Profession||Actor and filmmaker|
|School||Permington-Grimes Elementary School|
Oakland Military Academy, New Windsor
Mainland High School, Florida
|College||Fordham University, New York|
|Home Town||Mount Vernon|
New Windsor, New York
|Debut||TV Film – Wilma (1977)|
Director – Antwone Fisher
|Fathers Name||Denzel Hayes Washington Sr. (Pentecostal minister)|
|Mothers Name||S. Klein (Beauty parlor owner and operator)|
Career / Fashion And Style
Before making his debut on the silver screen, he appeared in some television commercials and programs. In 1981, he made his film debut with the comedy film ‘Carbon Copy’. Later, he was featured in many movies such as ‘A Soldier’s Story’, ‘Power’, ‘The Mighty Quinn, and many more.
In 1989, he was starred in the movie ‘Glory’ which became a huge success and he won many awards as well. In the movie ‘Malcolm X’ he portrayed the role of a Muslim African-American human rights activist.
His role as a Lieutenant Commander in ‘Crimson Tide’ received positive reviews from critics. In 2001, he was featured in ‘Training Day’ which is considered to be his most memorable performance. The movie was based upon the narcotic drug detectives.
Girlfriends, Affairs, Wife and More
In 1983, he married Pauletta Pearson and have four children.
|Children||Son – John David|
Malcolm Washington (film studies, university of Pennsylvania)
Daughter – Katia Washington (B.A. from Yale University)
Olivia Washington (Actor)
Some Interesting Facts About Denzel Washington
- For his role in the movie ‘Glory’, he earned a Tony Award and two Academy Awards in the category of Best Supporting Actor.
- In 2016, he was honored with the Cecil B. DeMille Lifetime Achievement Award at Golden Globe Awards.
- When he was 14, his parents divorced and he moved to New Windsor with his mother.
- Under the guidance of P.J. Carlesimo, he played collegiate basketball as a guard.
- He has worked as a creative director for an overnight summer camp ‘Sloane YMCA in Lakeville, Connecticut. He participated in a staff talent for campers and his performance impressed his colleagues and they suggested him to go for acting.
- To study acting he went to Lincoln Centre where he was given the title roles in Eugene O’Neill’s Emperor Jones and d Shakespeare’s Othello.
- While working for his first acting project ‘Wilma’, he met his wife.
- He has three honorary doctorate degrees from Fordham University, University of Pennsylvania, and Morehouse College.
- He has donated $250,000 to Fordham College.
- His hobby is playing and watching basketball.
- His ethnicity is African-American.
- He was one of the directors to negotiate the release of three defense contractors; the other two directors were Oliver Stone and Michael Moore.
- He is the second African to win an Academy Award and also the only actor who had six Academy Award nominations.
- He is fond of vintage cars.
- In the 2006 and 2007 Harris Polls, he has been voted as America’s Favourite Movie Star.
- In 1996, People’s magazine named him the sexiest man alive.