Biography / Wiki
Well, acclaimed actress and playwright from the United States of America Danai Gurira is a lot more than that. She is a cultural activist and also works towards embracing her culture and educating, spreading awareness in her native and neighboring countries.
Known for starring in the popular series “The Walking Dead” as Michonne, she was also cast in the role of Okoye in the 2018 superhero movie, Black Panther and her role in other movies set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Her highly acclaimed play, Eclipsed premiered in 2009 at Woolly Mammoth Theatre Company in Washington, D.C.
Height / Weight / Age
Danai Gurira is currently 42 years old and celebrates her birthday on Valentine’s Day, February the 14th. Her height measures 5’ 7” in feet and she weighs 54 kg. Known for her athletic body and toned figure during her role as Okoye in Marvel Cinematic Universe, she has a figure measurement of 32-24-34. Gurira has black eyes and the color of her hair is Dark Brown.
Danai Gurira earned her wealth from the salary she received as a playwright and as an actress. Her salary for “The Walking Dead” is said to be around $50 thousand per episode. Her net worth is estimated to be $6 million and is increasing a little bit by time.
Education / Family
Danai Jekesai Gurira, born in Grinnell city in Iowa, United States, is the daughter of Roger Gurira, a lecturer at the Grinnell College’s chemistry department and her mother Josephine Gurira who worked in a college as a librarian. Her parents moved from Zimbabwe to the US around 1964.
Danai was raised with one brother and two sisters, Tare Gurira, Choni Gurira, and Shingai Gurira. She finished her schooling at the Dominican Convent High School and has a bachelor of arts in psychology from Macalester College. She has also completed masters at the New York University Tisch School of the Arts.
|Birth Place||Grinnell, Iowa, United States|
|Date Of Birth||February 14, 1978|
|Height||In centimeters – 170 cm
In feet inches – 5’ 7”
|Weight||In kilograms – 54 kg
In pounds – 119 lbs
|Hair Color||Dark Brown|
|School||Dominican Convent High School|
Tisch School of the Arts
|Home Town||Los Angeles, United States|
|Debut||TV – Law & Order: Criminal Intent (2004)
Film – The Visitor (2007)
|Fathers Name||Roger Gurira
|Mothers Name||Josephine Gurira
Career / Fashion And Style
In an episode of “Law & Order: Criminal Intent” Danai Gurira made her debut screen acting work. She is highly appreciated for her role in the popular horror zombie drama TV series “The Walking Dead.” Apart from her play “Eclipsed,” One of her most successful works was at the Woolly Mammoth Theatre Company for performing and also co-writing the play “In the Continuum”.
She is known worldwide for the science fiction movie “Avengers: Infinity War,” and a science-fiction hero movie titled “Black Panther.” Danai Gurira has won the Satellite Award for Best Television Ensemble for “The Walking Dead”.
Boyfriends, Affairs, Husband and More
Here we provide you the list of Danai Gurira’s favorite things.
|Favorite Food||Lamb and goat-cheese burgers|
|Favorite Movie||Hotel Rwanda|
|Favorite TV Show(s)||Breaking Bad, Orange Is the New Black, House of Cards, Modern Family, and Veep|
|Favorite Music||Justin Timberlake and Tasha Cobbs|
|Favourite City||New York|
Some Interesting Facts About Danai Gurira
- She has been commissioned by prestigious institutions such as Center Theatre Group, Yale Repertory Theatre, Playwrights Horizons, and the Royal Court as a playwright.
- Her family moved back to Harare, the capital of the newly independent Zimbabwe When she was 5 years old.
- In a fight against HIV / AIDS, she decided to collaborate with multinational giant, Johnson & Johnson In 2016.
- She has written hard-hitting articles and her article about embracing her Zimbabwean heritage in Glamour magazine was especially well received.
- The play was titled as My Uncle Grey Bhonzo was the first play when she ever wrote when she was in 7th grade.
- She was invited to deliver a commencement speech in 2016 by her alma mater Macalester College and has been honored with an honorary doctorate degree.
- In her native country as well as other African countries such as South Africa and Liberia, She has given lessons on acting and playwrighting.
- In order to use her strengths as an actor in a better way, She started to write plays.
- Her play Eclipsed had an all-black and female acting team as well as the creative cast and was her first play to premiere on Broadway.
- She also has good control over basic Xhosa and apart from English; she is very fluent in French and Shona.