Biography / Wiki
In 1950 with his own radio show- The Bob Barker Show; Bob stepped into the entertainment industry. Later in 1972, he hosted the popular television game show- The Price Is Right. Barker decided to retire as the show’s host in 2007 after nearly 35 years. He successfully made The Price Is Right the first hour-long game show and the longest-running daytime game show in history.
Barker has won an Emmy Award for Lifetime Achievement. “Help control the pet population, Have your pets spayed or neutered.” This is the message Barker gave after every show to remind the people of animal welfare.
Height / Weight / Age
Bob Barker will turn 99 in December. His height measures 6’ 1” in feet. His weight is 70 kg. Bob has dark brown eyes and gray colored hair. Even at this age, Bob has managed to keep himself in a good shape because of his love for daily exercise.
Barker the retired American TV game show host and animal activist has a net worth of $70 million approximately. Bob’s annual salary was $10 million for the last decade of his tenure on the show The Price is Right. Barker has also donated $5 million to the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society which is an animal activist group.
Education / Family
Born on December 12, 1923, in Darrington, Washington, Barker lost his father when he was very young. Until he was in the eighth grade he lived with his mother, Matilda, a teacher, on the Rosebud Indian Reservation in Mission, South Dakota along with his brother Kent Valandra. The family moved to Springfield, Missouri when Matilda retired.
Barker attended Springfield’s Drury College on a basketball scholarship after he graduated from high school in the early 1940s. He trained as a fighter pilot in the United States Naval Reserve after he left school in 1943; however, World War II ended before he was given an assignment for active duty. In 1947 Barker decided to return to Drury and graduated with a degree in economics.
|Real name||Robert William Barker|
|Birth Place||Darrington, Washington, United States|
|Date Of Birth||December 12, 1923|
|Height||in centimetres – 185 cm
in feet inches – 6’ 1”
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
|Profession||TV Game Show Host|
|School||Central High School|
|College||Drury University, Springfield, Missouri, United States (1947)|
|Home Town||Darrington, Washington, United States|
|Debut||TV (Host) – Truth or Consequences on December 31, 1956
|Fathers Name||Byron John Barker
|Mothers Name||Matilda Kent Tarleton
Career / Fashion And Style
Bob wished to pursue a career in broadcasting and for that, he moved to California in 1950. There was given his own radio show, The Bob Barker Show, which ran for the following six years out of Burbank.
He hosted the daytime television version of the long-running radio quiz show Truth or Consequences in 1956 Barker continued as its host until 1974 before it was taken off the air.
Barker was also hosting duties of another game show, The Price Is Right, which since 1950 had aired on NBC and ABC before finding a home, at the time of Barker’s arrival in 1972, on CBS.
The Price Is Right became the first hour-long game show in TV history in November 1975. He appeared as the host of a short-lived variety show, That’s My Line, In 1980. This show became TV’s longest-running primetime game show.
Girlfriends, Affairs, Wife and More
Barker married Dorothy Jo Gideon in 1945. He met her in High school. They stayed together until Gideon’s death in 1981 from cancer.
|Girlfriend||Dian Parkinson, American Model (Adult/Glamour) (1989-1991)
|Wife||Dorothy Jo Gideon (1945–1981)
|Favourite Food||Pasta primavera|
|Favourite Actress||Pamela Anderson|
|Favorite Exercise(s)||Push-ups off the wall and Lightweights with 25-pound dumbbells|
|Favorite Vegetable(s)||Broccoli, Cauliflower, Spinach, and Asparagus|
Some Interesting Facts About Bob Barker
- Before relocating to Springfield, Missouri with his family Bob moved to Rosebud Indian Reservation in South Dakota when he was eight years old and then again back to Springfield, Missouri with his family.
- Bob’s father Byron Barker suffered an injury and later succumbed to his injuries in the year 1929 after fell from the top of a tower.
- Bob went to serve in World War II but after the war ended, he returned back to his studies. He served as a fighter pilot in the Navy in the midst of his education at Drury College.
- He is a crazy pet lover. Barker has a pet rabbit named Mr. Rabbit, he also had Jesse, a dog but he suffered and died from cancer.
- He started hosting TV’s longest-running game show in the air “The Price Is Right” in 1972. He has been on television now for 50 years.
- Bob is very much conscious regarding his diet-routine. He is a fitness freak and loves exercises every day.
- Around 30 years ago Bob became a vegetarian and advises others to become a vegetarian too. He explains how giving up meat can keep your mind sharp and help reduce the chances of Alzheimer’s disease in his interview with PETA.
- In the memory of his late wife, Dorothy Jo, and his mother, Matilda ‘Tilly’ Valandra, he founded the “DJ&T Foundation” in 1995.
- At the 26th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards he has won the Lifetime Achievement Award for Daytime Television in 1999.
Social Media Profile(s)
- Instagram – Not Known
- Twitter – @TPIRBarker
- Facebook – Not Known