Biography / Wiki
Aung San Suu Kyi became a messiah for Burmese by standing against the brutal rule of dictator U Ne Win. She is a prominent politician, democrat, and author. Even after being placed under house arrest for multiple times, the spirit of fighting for rights is still alive in her.
She was born on June 19th, 1945 in Yangon, Myanmar. Apart from holding multiple governmental posts since 2016, she has been a Nobel Peace Prize winner in 1991. She entered politics by being the co-founder of the National League for Democracy political party.
Height / Weight / Age
Aung San Suu Kyi has a height of 168 cm and in feet inches, her height is 5’6”. Approximately, 62 kg in Kilograms or 137 lbs in Pounds is her weight. In June, she turned 77 years old.
She has a gorgeous black eye color. Her hair color is salt & pepper. Her bold moves in politics reflect her brave and strong personality. Being a woman she has done wonders in the history of Myanmar.
Aung San Suu Kyi is the daughter of the martyred national hero of independent Burma, who was also a politician and Burmese freedom fighter. Her mother Khin Kyi was a prominent Burmese diplomat and was also appointed as ambassador to India in 1960. She attended Basic Education High School No.1 Dagon, Yangon, Myanmar. She went to India and Britain to pursue higher studies in philosophy, politics, and economics. She married Late Michael Aris, who was a historian in 1972.
Aung San Suu Kyi
|Nickname||Daw Suu, Amay Suu|
|Birth Place||Rangoon, British Burma|
|Date Of Birth||19 June 1945|
|Height||In centimeters – 168 cm
In feet inches – 5’6”
|Weight||In kilograms – 62 kg
In pounds – 137 lbs
|Hair Color||Salt & pepper|
|Profession||Author, politician, and diplomat|
|School||Basic Education High School No.1 Dagon, Yangon, Myanmar|
|College||University of Delhi
St Hugh’s College, Oxford
SOAS, University of London
|Home Town||Rangoon, British Burma|
|Debut||Founded a political party – National League for democracy on 27 September 1988|
|Fathers Name||Aung San|
|Mothers Name||Khin Kyi
|Brothers||Aung San Lin, San Oo|
Career / Fashion And Style
She entered politics on 27th September 1988 and co-founded a political party National League for Democracy. For the first time, she was put under house arrest on 20 July 1989. Her party secured 80% parliamentary seat in the 1990 general elections.
The Junta Military released her from being house arrest on 13 November 2010. In special parliamentary elections on 18th January 2012, Suu Kyi formally registered to contest a Pyithu Hluttaw seat in the Kawhmu Township constituency.
She won her seat and her party won 43 seats and she became the official leader of the opposition in the Pyidaungsu Hluttaw. As a lawmaker, she entered the parliament for the first time on 9 July 2012. She wanted to run for the presidential election in 2015 but she was barred constitutionally for the presidency.
In President Htin Kyaw’s government, she is looking after the portfolios and managing the roles of the President’s office minister, foreign affairs minister, electric power and energy minister, and education minister. Since 2016, she is the state counselor of Myanmar.
Boyfriends, Affairs, Husband and More
|Husband||Late Michael Aris, Historian
|Children||Son – Alex
Daughter – Kim
Here we are providing you the list of her favourite things.
|Favourite Politicians||Mahatma Gandhi|
Some Interesting Facts About Aung San Suu Kyi
- She derived her name from 3 relatives – “Aung San” from father, “Suu” from parental grandmother and “Kyi” from her mother.
- As a commander of the Burma Independence Army, her father helped in negotiating Burma’s independence from Britain.
- Her father is known as the father of the nation in Myanmar.
- On 19 July 1947, her father was assassinated.
- Her mother was a diplomat and also served as an Ambassador to India.
- She completed her education from Myanmar and India.
- She worked as the Assistant Secretary for the Advisory Committee from 1969 to 1971 on Administrative and Budgetary Questions at the United Nations in New York.
- She was honored with the Presidential Medal of Freedom by Bill Clinton on 6th December 2000.
- She received the Noble Peace Prize on 14th October 1991.
- Her ethnicity is Asian.
- Her hobbies are traveling, reading, cooking, yoga, and interest in modern art.
- Burmese refer her as Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, where Daw means ‘aunt’. This is an honorific way for an older and revered woman.
- She addressed both houses of the British parliament on 21 June 2012.
- She appeared on the cover of Miss Magazine in 2012.
- She won a seat in Parliament on 1st April 2012.
- She became the co-founder of the National League for Democracy and was appointed its General Secretary on 24th September 1988.
- For multiple times she has been put under house arrest for charges to divide the military.
- The European Parliament awarded her with Sakharov human rights prize on 10th July 1991.
Social Media Profile(s)
- Instagram – Not Known
- Twitter – @OfficialSuuKyi
- Facebook – @aungsansuukyi